Foodvalley Tours 2019
Prior to the Foodvalley Summit, Foodvalley organized thematic business experience tours. The Foodvalley Tours were a full day of company visits with four different themes of innovation and include lunch and interactive dinner. After the day program, all participants have joined at Hotel de Wageningsche Berg for an interactive diner with inspiring pitches of speakers who are very progressive in their field of innovation.
The four tours were organized around the four innovation themes:
- Protein transition
- Circular agriculture
- Personalized nutrition
- Smart & digital technology in agrifood
Company visits included visits to Wageningen University & Research, FrieslandCampina, Olympic Training Center Papendal, Noldus Information Technology, etc.
Registration at Congress center & Hotel the Wageningsche Berg
Morning program: Protein transition or Smart & digital technology in agrifood
Lunch at Impulse, Wageningen Campus
Afternoon program: Circular agriculture or Personalized nutrition
Interactive dinner at Congress center & Hotel the Wageningsche Berg
Tours & Visits
Participants had a full day program in which they could choose between tour 1 & 2 in the morning and between tour 3 & 4 in the afternoon.
1. Protein transition
The protein transition in the Netherlands focuses on restoring the balance in protein consumption with less animal proteins, more plant-based proteins and a reduction of overall protein consumption. Innovation plays a major role to achieve attractive sensory characteristics, and to increase consumer acceptance of green proteins. During the Foodvalley Tour, participants will visit the following organizations:
- NIZO. Protein Transition at work: the NIZO approach to applied solutions for the industry. During this visit NIZO will highlight its vision and capabilities in relation to protein transition. In an interactive fashion you will be able to see NIZO’s facilities and capabilities on protein.
- Ojah. Ojah wants to stimulate the protein transition with the production of sustainable, plant-based protein products. One of the prodcuts is Plenti, a plant-based meat alternative that can easily be processed into products while having the bite of meat.
- Wageningen University & Research. Wageningen University & Research is specialised in scientific research in the field of nutrition and health, designed to help us better understand the relationship between food and human health and to develop new sustainable food products. You will visit the WUR research facilities that are used for clinical nutrition trials, and for the development and testing of food products based on (new) protein sources.
2. Smart & digital technology in agrifood
Applying smart technology and IT, breakthrough innovation is within reach. Using state of the art data science, sensor technology and AI make it possible to gain new insights and accelerate innovation in the Protein shift, Circular agriculture and Food & Health. During the Foodvalley Tour, participants will visit the following organizations:
- Noldus Information Technology. Noldus Information Technology provides innovative tools for measuring behavior, health and wellbeing: from data collection to insights discovery. They help to improve your research, engineering, teaching and training. Together with partners, Noldus Information Technology creates innovative software, hardware and integrated systems for the measurement and analysis of human and animal behavior.
- TOP B.V. TOP B.V. works for the food industry and its suppliers like equipment manufacturers worldwide. Boosting your company’s profits, practical innovation and improving the quality of your (new) products are their priorities. TOP specializes in full NPD, engineering and the use of novel mild preservation technologies, like HPP (pascalisation), PEF (PurePulse), AMAP, RF (Radio Frequent) and PATS. In this tour, they will guide you through their Food Lab.
- Wageningen University & Research. High throughput screening and phenotyping facilities: You will visit the greenhouses at WUR and get a demonstration and explanation of our phenotyping facilities for studying plant performance in relation to relevant biotic and abiotic factors across a range of scales, from molecule to crop, from nm to km.
3. Circular agriculture
Circular agriculture is an important aspect of the circular economy. It means that agriculture will be an almost closed loop without external input of resources and no leakage of nutrients or minerals into the environment. One of the aspects is smart farming, for example precision farming, where geo-information and sensors are used to optimize the growth.
- Agrifirm. Agrifirm is a cooperation of livestock farmers and growers that transforms knowledge into practical solutions and applications. One of the innovation themes is circular economy. During the visit Agrifirm will show how it uses residual streams in their companies.
- The Surplus Food Factory (Verspillingsfabriek). The Surplus Food Factory has an important point of departure: namely, to take surplus food destined for human consumption and recover it for the same purpose. During the visit you will also take a look in the innovation center of the Surplus Food Factory, THREE-SIXTY.
4. Personalized nutrition
A healthy diet helps to keep a healthy weight and to prevent illnesses. Healthy nutrition also contributes to healthy ageing. The agricultural sector, food industry, government and knowledge institutes collaborate to develop innovative products for different target groups, e.g. infants, elderly, athletes, etc. During the Foodvalley Tour, the following organisations will explain their role in this field:
- Olympic Training Center Papendal. Sports and nutrition experts Jeroen Wouters, PhD (Innovation Manager Nutrition and Sports) and Erik te Velthuis (chef Elite sports restaurant) of Olympic Training Centre Papendal, will reveal how personalized nutrition is embedded and facilitated by innovation projects in sports nutrition at Papendal, Eat2Move and Team NL Innovation Center (SportinnovatorNL).
- FrieslandCampina Innovation Centre. A look into the kitchen of FrieslandCampina Innovation Centre: You will learn about the way FrislandCampina does Research & Development and get a wonderful view of the inside of the beautiful and effective FrieslandCampina Innovation Centre. FrieslandCampina is one of the world's largest Dairy Cooperatives. Every day Royal FrieslandCampina provides millions of consumers all over the world with food that is rich in valuable nutrients.
- OnePlanet Research Center. This new innovation center for nano- and digital technology in agri, food & health is a multidisciplinary collaboration between imec, Radboud University & Radboudumc and Wageningen University & Research. In the domain of Personalised Health & Nutrition OnePlanet focuses on the development of new sensors for measuring nutrition and health. Also data models and Artificial Intelligence is being worked on. During your visit Liesbeth Luijendijk (Director AgroFood) and Annelies Goris (Program manager Data Driven Nutrition & Health) will present you our future vision and latest projects.
The Foodvalley Tours program were an excellent combination with the next day: the Foodvalley Summit The Protein Plan(et). A global "return" to balance in protein consumption; less animal and more vegetable. During the third international edition of the Foodvalley Summit food producers, growers, breeders, investors, research institutes and the government have come together, in Wageningen, to share solutions, to strengthen the connections between meat, fish, dairy and vegetable and to find new business partners. This edition was an initiative of Foodvalley NL in collaboration with Wageningen University & Research, KeyGene and The Protein Cluster.
The Tour started from and returned to Congress Center and Hotel The Wageningsche Berg. Congress Center and 4-start Hotel is situated on the edge of Wageningen in The Netherlands. The hotel has the most fantastic panorama view of the river, The Neder-Rijn. Next to the hotel are the beautiful botanical gardens of the Arboretum Belmonte. The hotel, with free parking and free wifi, has 108 luxurious and spaciously designed hotel rooms, culinary à la carte restaurant, garden and 5 meeting rooms for business meetings, receptions and parties with a capacity of up to 1.500 guests.